Pathways to Professional Leadership
The Pathways to Professional Leadership Program is a series of seminars, workshops, and lectures that complement the Business degree coursework. Events are designed to help students with academic success, career exploration and job search, and professional and personal development. Skills learned in these activities give students a competitive edge when entering the workforce.
Pathways activities help students:
Study skills • Time management • Stress management • Performance management • Self-assessment
Choose a Major and Career Path
Major/certificate choice • Career exploration • Professional résumé • Interviewing skills • Understanding of diverse business issues
Develop Personal and Professional Skills
Strategic thinking • Interpersonal communication • Self-management • Building trust • Community relations
What are Pathways?
The Pathways to Professional Leadership program is a series of seminars, workshops, and lectures that complement the Business degree coursework. Events are designed to help students:
- Succeed academically.
- Choose a major and career path.
- Develop personal and professional skills.
Am I required to participate in the Pathways program?
All business students benefit from Pathways and are encouraged to attend any event of interest.
- Business students are required to attend six (6) different Pathways before applying for the Business Professional Program. Students will not receive duplicate Pathways credit.
- Transfer students who have completed all lower-division business core requirements at institutions other than NAU, are required to attend four (4) Pathways.
- Some instructors also use Pathways as regular or extra credit assignments.
How is my Pathways participation recorded?
Remember to bring your NAU ID card to all Pathways.
- At the end of each event cards are scanned to record attendance. Students will not receive credit unless their cards are scanned.
- Credit will not be granted after the event.
Can I check to see how many events I have attended?
Click Check Attendance and type in your NAU ID number. The list of events recorded for your NAU ID number will be generated.
How do I find out about events?
Pathways activities calendar:
- Flyers posted on the front porches in the FCB building.
- TV slides in the FCB building.
- Reminder e-mails to FCB students’ DANA email with date, time, and place of the event.
NOTE: There are other seminars, workshops, and lectures across campus, these do NOT count as Pathways. Only the Pathways presentations coordinated by The W. A. Franke College of Business will fulfill the Pathways requirements.
What can I expect of the Career Development Office?
- 20-25 Pathways events fall and spring semesters.
- Pertinent topics and quality speakers.
- Information about events throughout the semester.
What does the Career Development Office expect of me?
- Bring your NAU ID card to every Pathways.
- Arrive at least five minutes before the Pathways is scheduled to start. Doors are closed five minutes after the speaker begins-latecomers are NOT allowed in, no exceptions.
- If the room fills to capacity, no additional students will be allowed in. This may occur before the event starts.
- Have your card scanned at the END of every Pathways.
- The website contains the most current event information. It is your responsibility to check the website throughout the semester for any changes.
- Listen and participate respectfully during every Pathways. You represent the FCB to our guest speakers, and how you behave directly reflects how they perceive the FCB. Please treat them professionally and respectfully while they present their information.
- If you are disruptive, we will ask you to be quiet. If you continue to be disruptive, we reserve the right to ask you to leave. This includes the inappropriate use of cell phones and laptops. If you are asked to leave, you will not receive credit for the event.
- There will be NO readmission. If you leave the event location once the Pathways has started, you will not be let back in and will not receive credit.